Cost Takeout and BCI go hand in hand.
For the last 25 years, BCI has had the honor of helping our retail clients overcome tough economic conditions. Today’s challenges facing retailers, while extensive, are not insurmountable. One way to overcome these is with Cost Takeout strategy, for instance. Last year when writing about Cost Takeout, our team focused on the $15 minimum wage increase and its predicted effects on the retail industry. In this blog, let’s zoom in on the most common issues facing retailers today and how BCI can help:
- Ongoing inflation and the impact of those factors on pricing are not properly managed to prevent margin erosion
- Increasing transportation costs and supply chain challenges impact product availability sales.
- Merchandising and promotional challenges impact how well you can provide value to customers.
- Assortment and space optimization driven by CPG and Wholesaler assortment decisions impact product offerings and retailers’ ability to optimize inventory.
- Challenges of managing an online ordering program profitably requires difficult decisions to be made.
- Labor force challenges, post Covid hourly rates and incentives to attract and retain high caliber team members are not considered. As a result, the cost of turnover, proper staffing models and scheduling is a daunting task for any HR department.
- Physical location security challenges for customers and employees, internal and external theft, grab-and-go’s all present unique challenges for Operations and Asset Protection teams.
How effectively you manage, mine and utilize your data will determine your success in this high-risk environment
BCI believes the time is right for any retailer to consider a health check or diagnostic by an outside firm. We have conducted numerous diagnostics providing our clients with an unbiased assessment to identify areas of focus to improve performance, reduce costs and optimize staffing levels. Many of our clients have us complete an enterprise-wide review of their operation including all functional areas. Others have us focus on specific areas such as: Shrink, Labor Scheduling, Distribution Centers, and Merchandising. BCI can flex up or down supporting a variety of approaches.
What Does Our Diagnostic Entail?
In advance of our visits, we will provide a preliminary data request and based on our initial analysis of key data points we will prioritize key areas to investigate. This allows our teams to hit the ground running and focus where we believe there is potential for the greatest return on investment. During the diagnostic our team will spend time with key stakeholders and executives to get their perspective and expectations. At the same time other BCI team members will conduct store and field visits, where we will observation all processes that occur throughout the day and night. During those store and field visits we will interview key store management and team members that enables us to provide you with a true store level perspective. Many executives find what we uncover during those store visits to be eye opening and extremely informative.
The final report that comes out of our diagnostic does not pull any punches. We will provide a menu of initiatives that we categorize as quick-hit (3 to 6 months timeline), mid-range (6 to 12 month timeline with some technology enhancements), and longer-term (greater than 12 months and may involve technology support). Based on our data analysis we will also provide estimated benefits on each initiative and the level of effort to test and implement process improvements. BCI doesn’t just provide these recommendations, we work side by side with our clients to test and implement new initiatives.
Contact us to set up a discussion to determine if our Cost Takeout Diagnostic can provide value to your organization.
Direct Contact Details:
- Garry Birkhofer – owner and CEO / email@example.com / Cell – (612)-231-0152
- Corey Birkhofer – COO / firstname.lastname@example.org Cell / (619) 370-2777
- Greg Sandeno – Principle / email@example.com Cell / (541)-661-1976